Last Modified: November 14, 2012
1. Does Dollar General disclose and/or sell my Personally Identifiable Information to any third parties?
Dollar General does not sell or rent your Personally Identifiable Information. Dollar General uses your Personally Identifiable Information only to serve you better. We only share your personal information with third parties when they are performing administrative functions on our behalf, such as managing a sweepstakes contest or maintaining customer contact information related to an order you have placed or an inquiry you have made. We have agreements in place with these third parties that prevent them from selling, sharing, or disclosing your information with other parties. There are a few other rare instances where we may be required to disclose your information; these are discussed in Section 6 below.
2. How do you use my Personally Identifiable Information?
We will use your Personally Identifiable Information only:
- To respond to your questions or comments if you identify yourself by sending us an email;
- To communicate with you about your use of our Website;
- To advise you of promotions, sales or other special opportunities; and
- In connection with an employment application you have submitted.
- We will not use your Personally Identifiable Information for any other purpose without your permission.
If you have created an account on our Website, you have the opportunity to e-mail product pages to your friends. In order to accomplish this, you must provide your friend’s name and e-mail address to us. We only use your friends’ information to send them product pages you request that they receive.
3. What information is collected by Dollar General?
Information you voluntarily choose to provide
We may collect “Personally Identifiable Information” that you provide when you interact with us, including, but not limited to, your first and last name, home address, e-mail address and telephone number. Some examples of when Personally Identifiable Information is collected are when you:
- Make an online purchase, return, exchange or request information about our products;
- Make an in-store purchase, return or exchange;
- Contact Customer Service;
- Create an online account on the Website or sign up for e-mails or mobile text messages regarding special offers;
- Engage with Dollar General content through third-party social networking sites. You are responsible for the information you choose to submit via these sites;
- Participate in a contest, promotion or sweepstakes; or
- Provide us with comments or suggestions.
Information We Automatically Collect
Each time you visit the Website, the web server may automatically collect certain types of information. Some examples of automatic information we may collect include:
- Your internet service provider’s address, browser and reference site domain name;
- Cookies to recognize when you are shopping on the Website; and
- Beacons to know if a certain page was visited, an email was opened, or if ad banners on our Website were effective.
You do not have to provide us with any Personally Identifiable Information to visit our Website. In fact, you may browse most of the pages on our Website without giving us any Personally Identifiable Information. If you choose to withhold requested information, however, you may not be able to use some features of our Website, including the ability to purchase items online.
We operate cameras in our retail stores (the “Retail Stores”) for security and operational purposes. Except for security and loss prevention purposes, we do not use cameras to identify you personally.
- Visit any of our Retail Stores;
- Call, e-mail or otherwise communicate with us; and
- Use the Dollar General software application (“Application”) on a mobile device (please see Section 11 below for the terms of our policy that relate to the Application specifically).
5. Does Dollar General collect Personally Identifiable Information of children?
We do not knowingly solicit or collect Personally Identifiable Information about children under the age of 13. Dollar General is committed to protecting the privacy of children. Our Website is not designed for or directed to children under the age of 13. If we become aware that a child under the age of 13 has provided Personally Identifiable Information to us, we will delete the information from our records. If you become aware of any Personally Identifiable Information we collected from children under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
6. Who are the third parties to which Dollar General may disclose my Personally Identifiable Information?
Dollar General may disclose your Personally Identifiable Information:
- To our affiliates, selected product vendors, trusted partners with whom we have a business relationship in order to address a product concern, or to notify you of special offers and promotions relating to such companies’ products available through Dollar General;
- To our third party service providers (and their affiliates and service providers) who manage a particular operation and its services (e.g., electronic commerce). These companies may have access to your Personally Identifiable Information on a confidential basis only, and they are contractually restricted from using, selling, or disclosing your Personally Identifiable Information except as may be necessary to perform their services;
Examples of the services performed by these third party service providers include:
- payment processing and authorization;
- fraud protection and credit risk reduction;
- order fulfillment and shipping (shipping information will be shared with delivery service providers (U.S. Postal Service, UPS, or other delivery companies we or you select);
- marketing and promotional material distribution.
- To those within our organization with a business need to know. All employees are required to maintain the confidentiality of information entrusted to them unless disclosure is duly authorized or is required by law.
7. Cookies, Web Beacons and Targeted Advertising
Information About Cookies
Dollar General uses “Cookies” which are files stored on your computer’s hard drive by your browser. Cookies:
- Help us identify our Customers and improve their shopping experience;
- Do not include any Personally Identifiable Information. They do, however, allow you to use specialized features of the Website and hold selections in your shopping cart when you leave the Website without first checking out; and
- Can be disabled if desired. The “help” portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive new cookies, or how to disable cookies altogether. If you choose to reject cookies, you may not be provided certain personalized services and will not be able to take full advantage of all of the features on our Website. Information about Web Beacons
- We may use third-party advertising companies to provide us:
- With data collection and reporting services regarding our Customers’ activities on our Website;
- Tracking and measuring performance of our marketing efforts and your response to our marketing efforts; and
- With delivery of relevant marketing messages.
- Such companies may employ cookies and action tags (also known as single pixel gifs or web beacons) to measure advertising effectiveness and may receive information about your browsing and buying activity on Our Website.
- Web beacons enable us to recognize a browser’s cookie when a browser visits our Website and to learn which banner ads bring users to our Website.
- Targeted advertising (also known as online behavioral advertising) uses information collected through an individual’s web browsing behavior, such as the pages they have visited or the searches they have made. This information is then used to select which of our advertisements should be displayed to a particular individual on websites other than our Website.
- The information collected is only linked to an anonymous cookie ID (alphanumeric number); it does not include any Personally Identifiable Information. The information used for targeted advertising either comes from us or through third party website publishers.
- If you would like to opt out of targeted advertising that occurs on our third party advertising publishers, please click here:http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp. Please note that this will opt you out of targeted ads from us and any other participating advertisers. If you opt out, you will continue to receive online advertising from us; however, these ads may not be as relevant to you.
8. What security does Dollar General use for information collected from me?
Security Methods Used for Personally Identifiable Information in Electronic Form
- Dollar General and our third party service providers take numerous steps to secure your Personally Identifiable Information by using industry-standard techniques such as Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology.
- Dollar General’s servers are located in controlled, secured environments, protected from unauthorized access, and our systems contain technical security measures, such as firewalls, as well.
Although we exercise great care to protect your Personally Identifiable Information, you should be aware that no technology is perfect and that there is always some risk involved in transferring data over the Internet, particularly if you send information to us through an unsecured means, such as e-mail. “Phishing” is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an e-mail that looks like it is from us asking you for your Personally Identifiable Information, do not respond. We will never request your password, user name, credit card information or other Personally Identifiable Information through e-mail.
Security Methods Used for Personally Identifiable Information in Hard Copy Form
- Hard copy documents containing Personally Identifiable Information are stored in a physically secure location and are retained in accordance with the requirements of local, state and federal law and Dollar General’s internal policies.
- At such time as documents containing Personally Identifiable Information may be disposed of, such disposal is accomplished in a manner that protects the confidentiality of the Personally Identifiable Information, such as shredding, and complies with the destruction requirements contained in Dollar General’s internal policies.
9. How do I review the information Dollar General has collected on me?
Information for Accounts Created on Our Website
- If you have created an account on our Website, you can access your profile information at any time by clicking on the “My Account” link at the top of any page you are viewing.
Information Retained in our Active Databases
- If you would like to review or correct any Personally Identifiable Information we have retained about you in our active databases, please send an e-mail request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All such e-mail requests must be written in the English language.
Information You Provided in Connection With A Promotion or Sweepstakes
- If you wish to update Personally Identifiable Information you have provided in connection with a promotion or sweepstakes, please consult the Official Rules of that promotion or sweepstakes.
- If you receive an e-mail from Dollar General relating to any offer or promotion and wish to be removed from future e-mail contacts, you will have the option to do so by selecting a link located within that e-mail.
- If you select not to receive future e-mail solicitations, the only future e-mail communication you will receive from us will be in response to questions from you or to resolve any customer service issues you may have reported.
Information Relating to Services Provided by Our Service Providers
- If you need help accessing your information related to a service provided by one of our service providers, we will assist you by referring you to the third party. Please contact us for that information by submitting an e-mail request to email@example.com.
10. Important Information Regarding Use of the Website.
A. What information does the Application collect and how it is used?
Information you voluntarily choose to provide
Our Application does not collect any Personally Identifiable Information. Some examples of the types of information that may be collected when you use the Application are:
- Your email address when you sign up for e-mails;
- Your cell phone number when you sign up for mobile text messages regarding special offers;
- Your zip code when you use specific services within the Application.
Information We Automatically Collect
Each time you visit the Application, it may automatically collect certain types of information. Some examples of information we may collect automatically include:
- Location information (zip code only) for the purpose of delivering a store location list or store specific advertising circular;
- The type of mobile device you use;
- The IP address of your mobile device;
- Your mobile operating system;
- The type of mobile Internet browsers you use;
- The temporary or persistent unique device identifiers; and
- Aggregate information about the way customers are using the Application.
B. How can you opt out of information collection?
You may stop all collection of information by the Application easily by uninstalling the Application. You may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the mobile application marketplace or network. You may opt-out from allowing us to have access to your location zip code information data by adjusting the permissions in your mobile device.
13. Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident you have the right to request and receive information regarding the disclosure of your Personally Identifiable Information by Dollar General or any of our affiliates to a third party for its direct marketing purposes. Any such requests for information can be made by sending any email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing us at:
Dollar General Corporation,
100 Mission Ridge,
Goodlettsville, TN 37072,
Attn: Marketing Department.